Ski Portillo’s Guide to Chilean Wine
Chile’s wine scene has garnered devout fans throughout the world in recent years. Vineyards and winemakers have made concerted commitments to exploring the country’s old vines and unique terroir. Wine drinkers looking for great value love the bottles pouring out of Chile because you can get a lot of bang for your buck (or peso) with Chilean wine. Beautiful bottles and affordable prices make Chilean wine a stellar option to consider.
“With a unique landscape in the middle of the Andes, we will live an experience to discover aromas and flavors, a real trip to the wine regions of Chile,” commented Hector Vergara, president of the Association of Sommeliers of Chile and managing partner shop the World of Wine.
Ski Portillo has been at the epicenter of Chile’s wine renaissance for generations. With an annual Wine Week and Wine Festival Week, Portillo offers hotel guests the opportunity to taste a curated list of Chilean wines in an apres-ski atmosphere while learning about the winemakers and vineyards for no extra cost. And, guests who cannot make it to either specialty wine week can still enjoy premium quality Chilean wines anytime. Portillo’s wine list features a broad selection of Chilean wines from both large and boutique wineries.
Want to sample Chilean wine before your trip to Ski Portillo? Looking to cork a bottle of vino that reminds you of your summertime ski adventure in Chile? You’ve come to the right place.
Ski Portillo’s Guide to Chilean Wines
Here are 7 wines from Chile that Ski Portillo suggests…
1. Reserva Carmenere from Viña Tabali: Based in Northern Chile, Tabali’s vineyards where these Carmenere grapes are harvested are planted 29 kms from the Pacific Ocean, which has a great influence on the wine. The Tabalí Reserva Carmenere pairs perfectly with a steak.
2. Kai Carmenère by Viña Errazuriz: The grapes for ‘Kai’ are selected from the best plots of their Max V vineyards in the Aconcagua Valley. This is an elegant wine.
3. Merlot by Viña Lapostolle: A well-balanced everyday drinking wine.
4. Terrunyo Carmenere by Viña Concha y Toro: Terrunyo comes from the selection of a specific block of Concha y Toro’s best vineyards, in which they have identified a unique and complex character in each variety selected.
5. Sauvignon Blanc from Viña Casas del Bosque: Gorgeous nose, pungent and a complexity of layers, this is rich with tropical fruit and a hint of minerality.
6. EQ Syrah by Viña Matetic: 1,500 cases of this brilliant Syrah were made. It blends a cool-climate pepperiness on the nose with a wonderful perfume of lush fruits.
7. Cuvee Colchagua Carmenere by Viña Casa Silva: This wine has won many prizes, and for good reason. It’s a strong, powerful and wonderful bottle that pairs with hearty meal of meats and vegetables.
For skiers and snowboarders who love wine, Ski Portillo also can arrange pre- or post-ski week tours to many Chilean wineries. For more information and reservations contact email@example.com or call toll free 1.800.829.5325 (U.S.) (Canada) 1.800.514.2579 or 56.2.263.2606.